“Red Bull Amaphiko’s mission is to give wings to pioneers who are using their talents, creativity and energy to solve problems and make a difference”
Amaphiko (Zulu) : Wings.
I am writing this post because:
- Many people do not know what social entrepreneurship is (I didn’t either.)
- Some people are social entrepreneurs and are seeking help to develop and take it further but do not know of opportunities like Red Bull Amaphiko.
Last Saturday morning I had the privilege of attending the Red Bull Amaphiko social entrepreneurship talk which was hosted at Chopsi’s Bar (Windhoek). It was an amazing, open, conversation about social entrepreneurship and ways in which to join the movement. The set up was super cool and laid back. The morning started off with the invited speaker, Thokoza Mjo (from South Africa) introducing herself and sharing her story on how she became a social entrepreneur with her brand ‘Beyond the Lemonade Stand’ which is her aid in creating access to the market for teen led enterprises. Thokoza’s clear passion is to train the African youth to be economically active. She showed us a slideshow of all the students/youth she has been mentoring. All of them have created innovative ways to generate an income. Some of the youth are only 15 years old!!! WOW.
Pictures from the event:
What is a social entrepreneur?
Thokoza is a social entrepreneur. I won’t lie, when I heard this term, I was like “a whaaaaa?” She later went on to explain what it is. From what I understood, a social entrepreneur is someone who plans to or owns a business(es) in which the primary objective is to make money ofcourse, but also one which aims at creating sustainability within the community. The point of social entrepreneurship is not to keep all the knowledge to oneself and capitalize on it, but to teach others so that they too may start their own businesses and so forth; It creates and maintains sustainability.
Why social entrepreneurship?
Social entrepreneurship will probably not make you fast money but it will generate money over time and it will help with poverty reduction through the opportunity you will be giving to people in need.
Red Bull Amaphiko academy aims at:
- Assisting social entrepreneurs who feel the urge and are making positive differences in their communities
- Providing inspiration, mentorship and practical skills & tools which are needed to heighten social entrepreneurs and the projects they lead
- Lastly, to be able to network and communicate with leading innovators, businesswomen/men and storytellers across the world.
For more info, head to https://amaphiko.redbull.com/en
OH AND BY THE WAAAAYYY, Red Bull Namibia is finally on Instagram!! Whooooppp!! @redbullnam go folloooowww 🙂